Friday, June 20, 2008

The Tradition Of Hanging Laundry Out To Dry Alive After All In Carroll Gardens!

oo
photo credit: Carrie

Thanks to Carroll Gardens reader Carrie, who sent in this wonderful photo, I know that there are still residents in the neighborhood using the cloth lines in the back yard. How cool.
Here is what she wrote to me:


I enjoy checking in on your blog every morning and thought I would send you some visual reassurance and proof that the tradition of hanging laundry is alive in at least one corner of Carroll Gardens. I took this photo from my backyard today on President bet. Court and Clinton. You can see four of my neighbors utilizing solar and wind power to get their laundry dry. Admittedly the tenants of this building are neighborhood old-timers, but there are at least three (young "gentrifiers") in my own building who hang their laundry, too, they just didn't happen to have any out today. I am expecting a baby any day now and we are definitely putting up our own line so we can do some hand washing and sun-drying.


We wish you all the luck for the big event and hope that you will share a photo of your new Carroll Gardener with us all.



Related reading:

Let's Face It: Brooklynites Of Yesteryear Were Greener Than We Are

Picture Of The Day: Air Drying In Bay Ridge (Not Carroll Gardens)

No comments: