Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Instant Brooklyn Ancestors: The Twins

oo




Dear Reader, I have to admit, I love old cabinet photos, especially when they portray people who once lived here in Brooklyn. Unless a name or date is documented on the back of such photos, unless it was passed from generation to generation, nothing is known of these Brooklynites from the past. There is something that I find very touching about the fact that their history and the story of their lives has been lost.
Take the twins on the portrait above. I know nothing of them except that they were photographed at 153 Fifthy-Second Street in Brooklyn sometimes in the 1890's. What were their names? What happened to them? Do their descendants still live here today?
I wish I knew.
So, why not adopt them as 'Instant Brooklyn Ancestors'? I'll post more of these cabinet photos in the next few weeks. In the meantime, if you do have some of your own, send it to me and I will include it right here.
If, however, you have photos of your real Brooklyn or Carroll Gardens relatives, that would be even better. I would love to include them here in Pardon Me For Asking's 'A Carroll Gardens Life' series.



No comments: