Monday, September 29, 2008

Trader Joe's: After First Week-End, Restocking Is A Pain!

oo

0927081058-00
I must admit, I haven't been to Trader Joe's yet though it is just a few block away from my house. First, I don't really like crowds, secondly, I don't like waiting in line. I have no problem letting a few days go by before attempting a first shopping expedition.
After the first reports of the opening celebration, I have heard the first grumblings, too.

Friends happened to be at the corner of Court Street and Atlantic Avenue at 9:30PM this Saturday and were amazed by a line of huge trucks all idling along Atlantic Avenue. There was trash and a lot of blue plastic restocking bins on the sidewalk. My friends were a bit taken aback by the scene, but confessed that they had never really thought about the fact that Trader Joe's won't have a loading dock.

Then yesterday, a friend and faithful reader sent me a photo of the intersection, cluttered by the same blue bins. Here is his observation:
Hi Katia
You may be interested by this picture of Trader Joe's modifying the neighborhood. Just cases and cartons at this time as it did just open yesterday, but soon trash and rats, I guess."

Just out of curiosity, I would love to know what impact this has on the residents in those new apartment buildings next door and across the street.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello

Well, I love TJ for 2 fundamental reasons:

- great organic food
- so cheap !!!

You can't beat that.

Bonus: the atmosphere is relax inside (pretty calm, high ceiling effect I guess and they give away samples at every corners ;)

Yes I agree I hate line too, but it is case, it is so worth it and I am pretty sure, on week days, it is OK

Enjoy

PS: trust me we are lucky.

Key examples:
organic milk 30% less than others supermarkets, same for 100% OJ, bread, meat, fruits, vegetables, cereals, etc...

Anonymous said...

I went Sunday the place was Mobbed. But i must say I liked it very much and the prices are the best part.