Monday, February 09, 2009

Remembering Schooltime At St. Agnes In 1960

oo


A few days ago, I posted a photo of Sacred Hearts' second grade class in the year 1960/61. Reader Maryann B., who attended Carroll Gardens' other parochial school, Saint Agnes, shared these wonderful memories of her school years there.
I didn't attend Sacred Hearts but did attend St. Agnes on Degraw between Hoyt & Bond, and I was in the second grade in 1960. I have a similar photo of my class, too, and our teacher was Sister Helen. I can tell you that at St. Agnes, we had two "classes" in each grade, i.e., 1A and 1B, 2A and 2B, all the way up to 8th Grade. We also had a little United Nations of nationalities in our classes...all ethnic & racial groups. As for headcount, each class, especially in the lower grades in the late 50s-early 60s had about 60 children in EACH -- so that would total approx 120 children in the first grade alone. No exaggeration! And despite the numbers, the Sisters of St. Joseph (they were a tough bunch!) had total control and discipline over their classrooms. Any appearance of our principal, Sister Mary Bonaventura, was enough to cause spine-tingling fear in all of us, and yet we turned out just fine! Yes, I've got lots of fond memories of St. Agnes...like the first time I and another classmate were invited into the convent for some special task that I can't recall (maybe taking a nun's habit to the French dry cleaner?). It was like Dorothy coming out of her house after the twister and marveling at her mysterious but lovely surroundings. Unfortunately, the school, and subsequently the beautiful convent, were converted into condos. So sad. I'll see if I can dig out my photo. I know I have it somewhere.
Thank you so much, Maryann, for writing this down. More, please, more...



Related reading:

Sacred Hearts' Second Grade In 1960/61. Regognize Any Carroll Gardeners?




For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Katia,

I too attended St. Agnes as did both of my brothers. As a matter of fact, my mother was the cook for the Sister's (and yes they were a tough bunch. But I can thank them now for the education that I received.)
She used to report in the morning, cook their breakfast, lunch and start their dinner. The table had to be set for their dinner before my mother left and it became my job to make sure that the big round table was set just so before we left.
My lunch was spent eating in the kitchen with Mama and when the other kids would report back to the school yard, she would let me go. Unfortunetly for me, the kitchen window over looked the school yard and I could see her standing there making sure that I behaved myself. It got to the point where I would stand against the wall right underneath, so she couldn't see me.
I haven't thought about that in years, thanks Maryanne for the memory.
I too have some photo's of mine and my brother's classes. I'll see if I can did them up and send them to you.

Take care, Gina

Kelly said...

Hi Gina,
You know how much I love pictures
and your stories from the past.
Keep them coming.
It would be incredible to assemble an archive.

Katia

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to thank you for bringing back memories of my old neighborhood. I now live in Staten Island but lived on Degraw Street for over 35 years. My grandfather originally owned the house (in the 1950's) and left it to his children. My mom was the only one to stay there but rented. Matter of fact, I lived in the building that you are showing about the "over the top brownstone repair". As kids, we use to go and talk to the firemen and sometimes they would play ball with us kids. Even the firehouse is closed. I was surfing the net looking for anything on my old school, St. Agnes, which had been closed for sometime now. I even remember as a kid going to D'Amico's with my mom for all her grocery shopping every Friday and then she would run a tab. Unfortunately, since my mom didn't buy the house, it was too expensive to own anything in the neighborhood so that's why I came to S.I. Anyway, I was just surfing about St. Agnes and came upon this site and glad to have found it. Even though the neighborhood has really changed, thanks for the memories. Take care.

Joanne Festa

Anonymous said...

I attended St. Agnes from '52-'55. It was a long walk from Clinton & President St. to DeGraw/Hoyt. If you didn't make it on time, they locked the door where the little kids went in from the Yard and you had to go in where the older children entered. Trumatic experi-
ence! The class play at the end of the year was something to look forward to, and if you were lucky, you had the job of going ouytside each day and "pounding" the clauk erasers against the wall!

Kelly said...

Hi John Z,
That was a rather long walk for a little kid. It must have been scary.

I myself always hated having to clean the erasers. There was something about the feel of the chaulk on felt that I did not like. But I know all my classmates liked to do it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Katia,
Yep, it was a very long walk, esp. in the winter. My brother and I had a Nanny walk us because we had an infant sister at home, and the Nanny was ALWAYS late to our house on Monday mornings...so I KNEW that every Monday was a Tramatic Experience! Remember the Nuns habits with those big white bibs and covered foreheads; always wondered if they were bald underneath!

Kelly said...

I just love these little glimpses into Carroll Gardens' past

Keep on remembering,everyone.