Wednesday, January 20, 2010

All The Way From Amenia, N.Y.: Firewood Delivery On Court Street

oo
The Man Who Delivers Firewood To Neighborhood Stores




View from Delaverne Hill, Rt 44



Honestly, I had never much thought about where the firewood sold in our neighborhood delis comes from. But those bundles of firewood, wrapped in plastic wrap, can be bought all up and down Court Street in the wintertime.


Just a few days ago, I happened to see a big red truck parked near Sackett Street on Court. An elderly gentleman was unloading those bundles and delivering them to a deli.
Shortly afterward, I encountered him again a bit further up the street, making another delivery.

"Do you deliver wood to all the stores in the neighborhood?" I asked.
"Yes, I do, all the way from Amenia, New York" he said with a big smile on his face.
A quick search on Google revealed that Amenia is in Duchess County and has a population of just over 1,000.

The name Phillip Carroll was written on the truck's door. I don't know if the man I met was Phillip, or if that is the name of a bigger enterprise.


In any case, it was nice meeting him.




Map Of Amenia


For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh good you documented the truck parked on a fire hydrant! Maybe "we should all lean on the 78th precinct to enforce the law".