Monday, September 10, 2018

A Glimpse Back In Time: When Vaccarino's Sold Flowers On Court Street

oo
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
ad  for the store from  November1980 

Who in the neighborhood remembers Vaccarino's Flowers at 327 Court Street at the corner of Sackett Street? Just recently, Douglas Elliman* moved out of the commercial space on the ground floor and the real estate office's signage over the front door was removed.  Underneath, one can now clearly see the outline of a shop that occupied the space many years ago: "Vaccarino's Flowers".
I do faintly remember a flower shop at that location when I first moved to the neighborhood in 1985, but have a more vivid recollection of the Red Apple Chinese restaurant that occupied it for at least fifteen years in between the flower shop and the real estate office.

There is no mention of Vaccarino's online, but I did come across an ad in a special publication on the occasion of the 9th Annual Dinner Dance held on November 7th, 1980 by the Independent Neighborhood Democrats.
Can any Carroll Gardens 'oldtimer' tell us a bit about Vaccarino's? We would love to hear some local history.

Thanks to Readers Cynthia and Mary for making me aware of the temporarily exposed signage.

*For those keeping track, Douglas Elliman is relocating to 327 Smith Street to the former American Apparel store.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not much (if any) more of an old timer than you are but I used to buy flowers there regularly. I saw the owner around somewhat recently - not sure but it might have been in Chic hair salon. I didn't realize how long ago it was that it was a florist which explains why she was surprised that I remembered her. She remembered me too- I was there almost weekly. Seems like shop turnover is a lot faster now.

Katia said...

Thanks for the additional info, Anon.

alexa said...

amazing what a photo can do - really stir the memories - I've been here 34 years - back then the stores weren't many but you got what you needed!
thx

Roz said...

Wasn't Court St once a thriving flower district serving both retail and wholesale? Remember the very deep rear extension of the late lamented Book Court bookstore? I believe that was originally a greenhouse and that other nearby buildings had similar structures.

Katia said...

Roz, i never know that. Interesting!

Anonymous said...

No. They put that extension in. And the sky light.

Anonymous said...

A Carroll gardens that was middle class and you knew everyone. Long gone, replaced with overbuilt homes and uber traffic jams and 15 dollar goat cheese at union market . That florist was one of about three people went to. People had funerals back then. There is no describing that time. It’s like trying to envision what it was like to live in another planet. That’s the Brooklyn that doesn’t exist anymore. Carroll gardens is manhattan now. I have my memories and stories like many original residents. It’s not cool or chic or anything to retell. It’s was an honest time where you didn’t need bushels of money to go out and have a good time with friends.

Anonymous said...

Roz is correct-the extension was originally a greenhouse out back in what then became BookCourt. I forget the name of the store but it had been arounf for a while until it closed. I seem to recall that that the store name was in green lights in script format.

I have a vague memory of another nearby florist but I'd need my memory jogged.