Tuesday, February 02, 2010

After 11 Years On Atlantic Avenue, Nova Zembla To Close In March

oo
IMG_2652

IMG_2653

IMG_2655

IMG_2654


On my walk down to Brooklyn Heights yesterday, I was sad to see huge signs in Nova Zembla's windows announcing that the furniture and accessory store at the corner of Atlantic Avenue and Henry Street will be closing at the end of March.

A notice from owner Tommy Safian and on the store's web site states that he simply needs to take a break from the day to day running of the store. He writes:


To All Our Customers And Neighbors

After 11 successful years, Nova Zembla is closing

While I am proud of the success Nova Zembla has had, the long hours and physically demanding work have taken their toll. To cite one example, I am long overdue for an operation to repair a torn rotator cuff that will prevent me from lifting anything for 6 months – a difficult restriction when operating a furniture store.

More importantly, having a child has changed my perspectives and priorities, and I want to pursue a new career that allows me to spend more quality time with my family.

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank all of our customers for their support and friendship. You have all helped make Nova Zembla a unique and special store.

Best wishes,
Tommy Safian


Sad news, but understandable. Running a store can't be all fun. A second Nova Zembla outpost at # 198 Smith Street closed a while back.

In the meantime, Tommy is selling his remaining stock at liquidation prices. So hurry over to 117 Atlantic Avenue and say good-bye to Tommy and to his wonderful store.








For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

No comments: